- This event has passed.
CLE Class: Leveraging Active Voice in Patent Claims
July 21, 2020 @ 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm EDTFree – $25
What are the consequences of using passive voice and the benefits of using active voice during the patent application drafting process? Join Jason M. Perilla of Thomas | Horstemeyer, LLP, a former primary patent examiner at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, as he introduces and explores the use of active voice in drafting patent claims. Learn how to claim the important aspects of an invention using active voice rather than simply painting the “circumstances” surrounding the invention. Discussions will include:
- How to organize and prioritize the important aspects of an invention before drafting patent claims
- How to identify the “actors” of an invention, particularly in the context of computer-environment-related inventions
- Avoiding the use of “wherein” clauses and other claim limitations that are unhinged from a particular actor and, perhaps, the invention itself
- Leveraging active voice to help avoid “abstract idea” rejections under § 101
Instructor: Jason M. Perilla of Thomas | Horstemeyer, LLP
1 CLE Credit
- FREE for current Certified Patent Practitioners (CPP).
NOTE: You can apply for membership as a new CPP and receive this CLE FREE, including other CLEs in our course catalog, and all the benefits of CPP membership.
- FREE for all NON-CPPs who will apply for their own CLE credit for their respective state bars.
** USE COUPON CODE NCPP20 **
- $25 for NON-CPPs who would like the NCPP to apply for their CLE credit for their respective state bar.
REGISTER IS CLOSED
LOGIN INFORMATION WILL BE SENT TO ALL CLE REGISTRANTS PRIOR TO THE CLASS.